COVID-19 Impact On Our MCSA Member Agencies
It is with very heavy hearts that we inform you about the line-of-duty death of Polk County Sheriff’s Office Intake Records Specialist Renea Rogers, who was stricken with COVID-19 and lost her battle with the disease on September 6, 2021.
Renea is survived by her parents, her daughter and son-in-law, and her granddaughter. She was preceded in death by her daughter, Heather.
We regret to report the loss of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department: Sgt. Doug King passed away, August 23 2021 from complications connected to COVID-19.
He served with the LVMPD for 17 years.
He leaves behind his wife, three daughters, and extended family. He was 36 years old.
All of us at MCSA send our deepest condolences to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, Texas, the surrounding communities, the family, and the friends of Deputy Sheriff Shaun Waters who died August 1, 2021 from complications of contracting COVID-19 in the line of duty.
It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we inform you about the line-of-duty death of Deputy Sheriff Christopher Broadhead (of Polk County, FL.), who was stricken with COVID-19 and has been in the hospital for several weeks. He succumbed to the illness earlier today, August 23, 2021.
Shelby County’s Deputy Sheriff Ray McCrary 52, passed away on July 20, 2021. Deputy McCrary began his career with the SCSO in April of 1997 and served in the Civil/Levy Unit since April of 2012. He was a husband, father, grandfather, and a great friend to all in the Civil/Levy Unit. Please keep Deputy Ray McCrary and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
It is with great sadness that we share 33-year-old Denver Sheriff Deputy Daniel “Duke” Trujillo passed away May 26, 2021 from COVID-19 complications. Trujillo served for 7 years as a Deputy Sheriff and was assigned to the Downtown Detention Center and also served in the Marine Corps.
It is with heavy hearts that we share news of the death of Denver Sheriff Deputy James Herrera, who passed away May 16, 2021 from COVID-19 with his immediate family by his side. Herrera was a 25-year veteran of the DSD and was assigned to the Downtown Detention Center.
We are saddened to announce the death of Adrian Blakely Phenizy who was a Data Control Specialist at the Richland County Sheriff’s Department (Wisc.). Adrian joined the Sheriff’s Department in early 1998 and “was a shining light in the Records Department,” said her supervisor Sergeant Catherine Smith.
The Harris County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of Deputy Alexander Gwosdz, who died from COVID-19 complications. He was a 9-year agency veteran of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. Our hearts, prayers, and condolences go out to his grieving family, loved ones, and colleagues.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office (BSO) is mourning the death of Sgt. Shane Owens, who passed away March 28, 2021 following a battle with COVID-19. He served for nearly 30 years in BSO’s Department of Detention.
We are saddened to announce the death of Chaplain Terry Barrett, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department’s first line-of-duty death due to COVID-19. For more information click here.
Our thoughts are with the members of the Kern County Sheriff’s Office on the loss of their colleague, Maria Franco. Click here for a special message from Sheriff Youngblood.
The Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of Deputy Sgt. Frederick “Butch” Cameron who died in the line of duty due to COVID-19 on January 12, 2021. Click here for more information.
- LA County Sheriff’s Department Loses Deputy To COVID-19The LA County Sheriff’s Department is mourning the death of one of their own: Deputy Timothy Tellez who to his battle with COVID-19.
- Tarrant County Lieutenant King Dies After Long Battle With COVID-19The Tarrant County (Texas) Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of one of their own: Lt. Craig King after a long battle with COVID-19.
- Wayne County Sheriff Dies After Contracting COVID-19The Wayne County (Michigan) Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of one of their own: Sheriff Benny Napoleon due to COVID-19
- Tarrant County Announces Death Of Corporal Due To COVIDThe Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the death of one of their own: Corporal Charles E. Holt
- Dane County Sheriff’s Office Mourns COVID-19 Death: Deputy Treadwell25-year veteran Deptuy Treadwell of the Dane County Sheriff’s Office died August 23, 2020 due to COVID-19, contracted in the line of duty.
- Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Honors Veteran Officer Who Died Of COVID-19A celebration of life was held for Lt. Chris Cunningham, a 22-year veteran of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office who battled coronavirus.
- Mecklenburg County Loses Officer Coretta Downing Due To COVID-19Mecklenburg County Detention Center lost Officer Coretta Downing, 51, Wednesday from complications due to COVID-19.
- Miami-Dade Corrections Officer Jairo Bravo Dies of COVID-19The Miami-Dade County Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center lost Officer Jairo Bravo, 48, Saturday from complications of COVID-19.
- Las Vegas Police Officer Dies After Battling COVID-19After contracting the coronavirus, Lt. Erik Lloyd has died after nearly 30 years served in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
- Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Loses Two To COVID-19 In 24-HrsCOVID-19 kills 2 Alameda County Sheriff’s Office employees in 24 hours.
- Two Long-Time Maricopa County Sheriff’s Officers Have DiedThe Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is mourning the loss of two officers. Sgt. Quintero and Officer Fletcher. One test positive for COVID-19, family says.
- Harris County Sheriff’s Office Loses Sgt. Scholwinski To CoronavirusThe Harris County Sheriff’s Office’s Sergeant Raymond Scholwinski has died due to coronavirus.
- King County Sheriff’s Office Courthouse Security Scanner Julieta Degracia – Death Due To CoronavirusKing County Sheriff’s Office Courthouse Security Scanner Julieta Degardia has died due to coronavirus, May 3, 2020.
- Broward County Communications Operator Nikima Thompson – Death Due To CoronavirusBroward County Sheriff’s Office Communications Operator III, Nikima Thompson has died due to coronavirus, May 4, 2020.
- Cook County Deputy To Dies Of Coronavirus ComplicationsCook County Sheriff’s Deputy Richard O’Brien died of complications due to coronavirus May 3, 2020.
- Bexar County Sheriff’s Office Loses Deputy To CoronavirusDeputy Timothy De La Fuente, a 27 year veteran with the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office passed away due to COVID-19.
- Suffolk County Sheriff’s Dept. Loses Officer To CoronavirusOfficer Gregory Rector of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department passed away due to a brain disease with COVID-19 as a secondary illness.
- Charleston County Sheriff’s Office Loses Officer In Fatal CrashA Charleston County Sheriff’s deputy and another motorist were killed in a crash early Monday, April 13, 2020.
- East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office Loses Officer To CoronavirusSgt. Gregory Warren of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office has passed due to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Broward and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Lose Officers To CoronavirusFlorida’s Broward Sheriff’s Office and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office lose two officers to Coronavirus; Deputy Shannon Bennett and Sgt. Jose Diaz Ayala.
- 2nd Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Dies Of CoronavirusA second Riverside County sheriff’s deputy dies from coronavirus, Deputy David Werksman.
- Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Dies Of The CoronavirusRiverside County sheriff’s deputy dies from complications of the coronavirus, the latest sign of how law enforcement is being hit hard by the outbreak.
This page seeks to honor the memories of the those lost to Coronavirus (COVID-19) who were members of the Major County Sheriffs of America.